A. Team - Uniform
Team uniform rule to be enforced as of June 1st of the current season.
Teams must all be in uniforms of matching colour and style, and must all be
numbered with minimum 6 inch numbers on the back, or minimum 2 inch
numbers on sleeve or chest area. Teams may be granted an extension if
uniforms cannot be ready by June 1st, but must have a letter from League
B. Team - Defence
1) Unlimited defence. A minimum of 4 females on defence at all times. A
minimum of 3 males when playing
with 9 or 10 players. (when playing with 9 players, and the 10th arrives,
he/she may play defence immediately)
2) Infielders must stay behind the baselines and outfielders must stay
behind the 175-foot line until batter makes contact with the ball. No more
than 4 infielders (+ the pitcher) are allowed on infield until the batter makes
contact with the ball.
3) 5 warm-up pitches at the beginning of game, no pitches thereafter.
4) 3 warm-up pitches for a relief pitcher.
C. Team - Offence
1) A team may start with 9 players. If the 10th player or more arrives prior to
the team going through the batting order once, a 10th player ONLY will be
added to the batting order. The 11th player, or more, may be substituted into
the line-up. The 10th position will NEVER be an out, due to alternating
line-up. (if the 10th player arrives AFTER going through the batting order
once, he/she may play defence (10 on defence), but must be substituted
into the offensive line-up.)
2) If a male batter receives a walk, intentional or otherwise, he will be
awarded 2nd base, and the next batter (female) will have the option of a walk
(to 1st base) or to hit.
3) No sliding is permitted at first base or home. A runner MAY slide back to
1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
4) Unlimited offence permitted. Line-up cards are required, and the plate
umpire will keep the Line-Up Card score. 2 male batters may bat back to
back twice through the lineup. 3 females MAY bat in succession. In case of
injury, ejection, or player leaving, that player is an automatic out, unless a
substitution is made. If the injured or departed player returns, he/she may be
inserted back into original position in the offensive line-up, if no substitution
was made. The minimum offensive line-up is 9. The minimum number of
males is 3.
5) There is no mercy rule
6) The home team will provide a scorekeeper. If the home team cannot
provide the scorekeeper, the visiting team shall do so, and assume the
home field advantage. The scheduled home team shall provide a new ball,
even if it loses its home team advantage. The visiting team shall provide a
good used ball.
NOTE: If starting with 9 players, and having gone through the batting order
once, the team must finish with 9 players. If starting with 9 players, and an
player is added to the batting order, OR, starting with 10 players, the team
must finish with 10, unless there is an injury. The team may then play with
9. If the line-up is 11 or more, the unlimited offence rule is in effect
(Ref:C.5.d). The team may finish with 10.
D. Game Times
1) Start times - Wednesday - 7:00pm, 8:15pm, 9:30pm.
2) No new inning to start after 1 hour and 5 minutes. Umpires should advise
teams of time left, starting with 15 minutes, and reconfirm time after each
3) NO grace period for any games.
4) If the 1st or 2nd game surpasses the schedule time, only 5 minutes will
be allowed between games. Any time over the 5 minute limit will be
deducted from the 1 hour and 5 minutes.
5) There will be warm-ups IF TIME PERMITS.
6) Clarification that games can only start early if BOTH teams consent.
7) Playoffs and Rain-Out games can be scheduled on any night of the week.
E. Strike Zone/ Pitching
The 24" X 50-65 ft. pitching zone is in effect (for safety), with the wooden
"mat" being used for strike zone.
F. Commitment Line/ Score Line
1) Both lines will extend from the foul line to the fence.
2) Tags are NOT permitted between the 2 lines. Runner will be considered
3) No sliding or running over home plate. Runner will be considered out.
G. Courtesy Runners
Three per game - anyone on the roster - male for male, female for female,
female for male.
Anticipation is permitted, with a 1 or 2 man umpiring system.
Official ball is the SPO Hot Dot, optic yellow, 12". Home team to provide 1
new ball per game. Visiting team to provide 1 good used ball per game.
(teams caught trying to brong a non-approved ball into play could face
possible forfeit of game. This will be an Executive decision)
J. Bat Rule
A batter shall be ejected from the game if he is discovered to be using an
altered bat or a non-approved bat after entering the batter's box.
The ejected player is suspended for the remainder of the game, with a review
by the League Executive. A second offence will result in a minimum of
one year suspension.
NOTE: an altered bat is one that has had its physical structure changed,
including, but not limited to:
1) The bat has had the surface of the barrel or the taper changed in any way,
such as sandpapering or applying a solvent to the surface, such as fingernail
polish remover or by any other means.
2) The bat has had the plug or the knob removed/ replaced or changed in
3) The bat has had anything removed or added or inserted to the inside or
outside of the bat, other than tape at the handle or knob.
4) The bat has been repainted.
Other examples of an altered bat would be changing or replacing
manufacturers' markings or replacing the handle of a metal bat with a
wooden handle. Cracked, worn, or damaged bats are not altered bats, but
will be removed from play. Such cracked, worn, or damaged bats will not
result in a players suspension, unless player returned the offending bat into
play after it has been removed. Only bats on the published list will be legal
for USSSA play. In addition, no bat shall be legalin USSSA play unless it is
marked "USSA BPF 1.20", bats manufactured before Jan. 1, 2004, are to be
marked "1.20 BPF" or "BPF 1.20".
1) Umpires to keep score
2) It is the umpires responsibility to speed up the game between innings
3) Each team to pay 1/2 of the umpires fee before the start of each game.
Fees will be announced each year at 1st League meeting.
L. Special Rules
All SPO and League rules will be in effect, for regular season and playoffs.
Rosters shall be a maximum of 20 players.
1) If a team forfeits because of insufficient number of players, that team shall
pay both umpires.
2) If a player, coach, or manager is removed (ejected) from a game, that
player will receive an automatic additional one-game suspension. If the
infraction, in the opinion of the umpire, warrants further discipline, the umpire
should Document the incident (form in current Handbook), and forward the
report to the President or Umpire-In-Chief, so further action may be taken by
M. Blood Rule
The player may be replaced by a player who is not considered a substitute
for the rest of the inning, plus, one additional inning. After a full inning, a
substitute must be inserted into the line-up. If no player is available, that
position will be skipped in the batting order, without penalty. (revised April
N. Profanity/ Cursing
Any flagrant profanity = ejection.
Each team will be warned one time, a second warning will result in an OUT.
O. Serious Injury
Umpire will call "Time" immediately, and place runners according to his
judgement. Batter/runner must achieve first base, or be called out. If
batter/runner reaches first, he will be awarded first base, and other runners
P. Cancellation Procedure
1) When schedule has been finalized, Executive will organize no changes in
2) If 48 hours notice is given to the umpires, fees for umpires will not be
charged, but League fines are still to be applied.
3) If a game is to be rescheduled, it is the responsibility of the team doing
the rescheduling to get written approval from all teams affected. Under no
circumstance will a game be played at an alternate diamond, or night than
Q. Home Run Rule
One home run per gender per game (over the fence). Any hit in excess of
this will be considered an out.
R. Registering Winning Scores
Winning team to email scores within 24 hours from end of game. In case of
a tie, both teams to email score.
1) Cancelled games = $25
2) Forfeit games = $40 to umpires & $25 to League (after 3rd forfeit - $100)
3) Emailing scores in late = $10
4) NSF cheques = $100
5) Missed League meetings = $25
6) Drinking at Complex = $100/team (and subject to expulsion by complex)
T. Maximum RPI
1) A maximum of 7 runs per inning may be scored.
2) Last inning is "open inning", to be announced by umpire. No limit to runs
scored in "open inning".
U. Player Eligibility
No male player ranked higher than Men's D allowed on any roster. No female
ranked higher than Ladie's C, with the following exception...Each team is
allowed a max. of 2 players with a ranking of B or higher. Teams may borrow
a female from another team to reach either 3 or 4 females. This may be done
a maximum of 3 times in one season, and is not allowed for playoffs.