A. Team - Uniform
Team uniform rule to be enforced as of June 1st of the current season. Teams must all be in uniforms of matching colour and style, and must be numbered with
minimum 6 inch numbers on the back, or minimum 2 inch numbers on the sleeve or chest area. Teams may be granted an extension, if uniforms can't be ready
by June 1st, but must have a letter from League Executive for exemption.
B. Team - Defence
1) Unlimited defence. A minimum of 4 females on defence at all times. A minimum of 3 males, when playing with 9 or 10 players. (when playing with 9 players,
and 10th arrives, he/ she may play defence immediately)
2) Infielders must stay behind the baselines, and outfielders must stay behind the 175-foot line until batter makes contact with the ball. No more than 4 infielders
(+ the pitcher) are allowed on infield until the batter makes contact with the ball. If pylons are not there, indicating the 175' line, the umpire should consider the
line to be 25' past the light standard.
3) 5 warm up pitches at the beginning of game, no pitches thereafter.
4) 3 warm up pitches for a relief pitcher.
C. Team - Offence
1) A team may start with 9 players. If the 10th player (or more) arrives prior to the team going through the batting order once, a 10th player ONLY will be added to
the batting order. The 11th player (or more) may be substituted into the line-up. The 10th position will NEVER be an out, due to alternating line-up. If the 10th
player arrives AFTER going through the batting order once, he/ she may play defence (10 on defence), but must be substituted into the offensive line-up.
2) If a male batter receives a walk, intentional or otherwise, and he is followed by a female, he will be awarded 2nd base, and the next batter (female) will have the
option of taking a walk, and going to 1st, or hitting.
3) No sliding is permitted at 1st base or home. Sliding IS permitted at 2nd and/ or 3rd...or BACK to 1st.
4) Unlimited offence is permitted. Line-up cards are required, and the plate umpire will keep the line-up card score. 2 male batters may bat back to back twice
through the line-up. 3 females MAY bat in succession. In case of injury, ejection, or player leaving, that player is an automatic out, unless a substitution is made.
If the injured or departed player returns, he/ she may be insrted back into original position in the offensive line-up, if no substitution is made. The minimum
offensive line-up is 9. The minimum number of males is 3.
5) There is no mercy rule
6) The home team will provide a scorekeeper. If the home team cannot provide the scorekeeper, the visiting team shall do so, and assume the home field
advantage. The scheduled home team shall provide a new ball, even if it loses its home team advantage. The visiting team shall provide a good, used ball.
NOTE: If starting with 9 players, and having gone through the batting order once, the team must finish with 9 players. If starting with 9 players, and an additional
player is added to the batting order, OR, if starting with 10 players, the team must finish with 10...unless there's an injury. The team may then play with 9. If the
line-up is 11 or more, the unlimited offence rule is in effect (Ref:C.5.d). The team may finish with 10.
D. Game times
1) Start times - Wednesday - 7:00pm, 8:15pm, 9:30pm
2) No new inning to start after 65 minutes. Umpires should advise teams of time left, starting with 15 minutes, and reconfirm time after each half inning.
3) NO grace period for any games
4) If 1st or 2nd game surpasses the schedule time, only 5 minutes will be allowed between games. Any time over the 5 minute limit will be deducted from the
hour and 5 minute limit.
5) There will be warm-ups...ONLY IF TIME PERMITS.
6) Games can only start early if BOTH teams consent.
7) Playoffs and Rain-out games can be scheduled on any night of the week.
E. Strike Zone/ Pitching
The 24" x 50-65 ft. pitching zone is in effect (for safety), with the wooden "mat" being used for strike zone.
F. Commitment/ Scoring Lines
1) both lines will extend from foul lines to the fence.
2) Tags are NOT permitted between the 2 lines. Runner will be considered safe.
3) No sliding or running over home plate/ board. Runner will be considered out.
G. Courtesy Runners
Three (3) per game - anyone on the roster - Male for Male, Female for Female OR Male.
Anticipation is permitted, with a 1 or 2 man umpiring system.
Official ball is the SPO Hot Dot, optic yellow, 12". Home team to provide 1 new ball per game, visiting team to provide 1 good, used ball.
(teams caught trying to bring a non-approved ball into play could face possible forfeit of game. This will be an Executive decision)
J. Bat Rule
A batter shall be ejected from the game if he is discovered to be using an altered or non-approved bat after entering the batters box. The ejected player is
suspended for the remainder of the game, with a review by League Executive. A 2nd offence will result in a minimum of one year suspension.
NOTE: An altered bat is one that has had its physical structure changed, including, but not limited to:
1) The bat has had its surface of the barrel or the taper changed in any way, such as sandpapering, or applying a solvent to the surface, such as fingernail polish
remover, or by any other means.
2) The bat has had the plug or the knob removed, replaced, or changed in any way.
3) The bat has had anything removed or added or inserted to the inside or outside of the bat, other than tape at the handle or knob.
4) The bat has been repainted
Other examples of an altered bat would be changing or replacing the manufacturers' markings, or replacing the handle of a metal bat with a wooden handle.
Cracked, worn or damaged bats are not altered bats, but will be removed from play. Such cracked, worn or damaged bats will not result in a players suspension,
unless player returned the offending bat into play after it has been removed.
Only bats on the published list will be legal for USSSA play. In addition, no bat shall be legal in USSSA play unless it is marked "USSSA BPF 1.20". Bats
manufactured before Jan. 1, 2004 are to be marked "1.20 BPF" or " BPF 1.20".
1) Umpires to keep score
2) It is the umpires responsibility to speed up the game between innings
3) Each team to pay 1/2 of umpire fees before the start of each game. Fees will be announced each year at 1st League meeting.
L. Special Rules
All SPO and League rules will be in effect, for regular season and playoffs. Rosters shall be a maximum of 20 players.
1) Any player caught playing without a valid SPO registration will be suspended from play in the Wednesday Co-Ed League, as well as the Barrie Mens Slo-Pitch
League, for a period of 2 years! It is the coach's responsibility to ensure ALL players are registered, before playing any games.
2) If a team forfeits because of insufficient number of players, that team shall pay both umpires. (or pay FULL umpire fee if only single umpire system)
3) If a player, coach or manager is removed (ejected) from a game, that player will receive an automatic additional game suspension. If the infraction, in the
opinion of the umpire(s), warrants further discipline, the umpire should document the incident (form is in current Handbook), and forward the report to the
President or Umpire-In-Chief, so further action may be taken by the League.
M. Blood Rule
The player may be replaced by a player who is not considered a substitute for the rest of the inning, plus, one additional inning. After a full inning, a substitute
must be inserted into the line-up. If no player is available, that position will be skipped in the batting order, without penalty (revised April 25, 2005)
N. Profanity/ Cursing
Any flagrant profanity = ejection.
Each team will be warned one time. A second warning will result in an out.
O. Serious Injury
Umpire will call "Time" immediately, and place runners according to his judgement. Batter/ runner must achieve 1st base, or be called out. If batter/ runner
reaches 1st, he will be awarded first base, and other runners are placed.
P. Cancellation Procedure
1) When schedule has been finalized, Executive will organize no changes in schedule.
2) If 48 hours notice is given to the umpires, fees for umpire(s) will not be charged, but League fines are still applied.
3) If a game is to be rescheduled, it is the responsibility of the team doing the rescheduling to get written approval from all teams' affected.
Under no circumstance will a game be played at an alternative diamond, or night, than already scheduled.
Q. Home Run Rule
One (1) home run per gender per game (over the fence). Any hit in excess of this will be considered an out.
R. Registering Winning Scores
Winning team to email scores within 24 hours from end of game. In case of a tie, BOTH teams to email score.
1) Cancelled games = $25
2) Forfeit games = $40 to umpire and $25 to League (after 3rd forfeit - $100)
3) Emailing scores too late = $10
4) NSF cheques = $100
5) Missed League meetings = $25
6) Drinking at Complex = $100/ team (and subject to expulsion by Complex)
T. Maximum Runs Per Inning (RPI)
The "plus 5" rule is in effect.
U. Player Eligibility
No male ranked higher than Mens D allowed on any roster (unless grandfathered). No female ranked higher than Ladies C allowed, with the following exception:
Each team is allowed a max. of 2 females with a ranking of B or higher.
Teams may borrow a female from another team to reach either 3 or 4 females. This may be done a maximum of 3 times in one season, and is NOT allowed in